DCCA Press Release: “WAIPAHU 3” TEAM WINS 2022 HAWAII LIFESMARTS STATE CONTEST
Published on February 14, 2022 in Latest news from the department, Press room
HONOLULU — The Office of the Securities Commissioner and the Department of Consumer Affairs and Commerce’s (DCCA) Division of Insurance announces that a team from Waipahu High School has won the Hawaii LifeSmarts Virtual State Competition held on 12 February.
The game show-style competition tests students on their knowledge of personal finance, health and safety, the environment, technology, and consumer rights and responsibilities through an individual test, a “speed smarts” activity and game show style ringtones.
The teams first competed in an online competition, with the top four teams earning an invitation to participate in last Saturday’s state competition. The annual event, usually held in person, was held virtually for the first time due to ongoing security concerns related to COVID-19.
As the 2022 State Champions, Team Waipahu will have the opportunity to represent Hawaii at the National LifeSmarts Competition in Washington, D.C. April 21-24, 2022. Team members are: Ross Cadelina (Captain team), Estefany Bayudan, Isabella Delos Santos and Keziah Ancheta. The team was coached by Cindy Takara.
“Hawaii LifeSmarts strives to provide an educational experience for our students in an engaging and relevant way,” said DCCA Director Catherine Awakuni Colón. “We hope this consumer knowledge base will help them thrive and be ‘smart in life’ as they face challenges in the real world.” Congratulations to “Waipahu 3” and good luck in the national contest! »
“We are thrilled that ‘Waipahu 3’ is representing Hawaii in the national competition,” Securities Commissioner Ty Nohara said. “We would like to thank all participants, our staff, volunteers and community partners for their contributions to this valuable youth program.
LifeSmarts is a free educational program that prepares students to enter the real world as smart consumers by teaching them the skills needed to succeed in today’s global marketplace. It is a National Consumers League program that is locally operated and sponsored by the DCCA Office of the Securities Commissioner and Insurance Division, in partnership with the Hawaii Credit Union League.
Community supporters of the 2022 Hawaii State Meet include:
- Aloha Pacific Federal Credit Union
- Better Business Bureau Great West + Pacific
- Big Island Federal Credit Union
- Cisco Systems
- Coastal Construction Company Inc.
- Ministry of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division, Community and Crime Prevention Branch
- Hawaii farmers
- Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union
- Hawaii Credit Union League
- Hawaii Dental Service
- Hawaii Government Employees Association (HGEA), Local 152
- Hawaii Information Service
- Hawaii State Federal Credit Union
- Hawaii USA Federal Credit Union Foundation
- HMSA Employees Federal Credit Union
- Federal Honolulu Fire Department Credit Union
- Island Energy Services
- Kualoa Ranch Hawaii
- Pasha Group and Pasha Hawaii
- Pearl Hawaii Federal Credit Union
- Schofield Federal Credit Union
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Shidler College of Business Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship (PACE)
Visit www.LifeSmartsHawaii.com for more information and to watch a recording of the awards ceremony.
# # #
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (808) 586-7582