The non-profit organization helps local youth nurture their bodies and their futures by teaching them everything from gardening and nutrition to entrepreneurial skills.
Maybe you saw this salad cart at a Twins game.
Roots for the Home Team enters its 10th season at Target Field and it’s a powerful youth development that helps teens create the future they want.
Roots for the Home Team’s mission is to help local teens grow vegetables, create recipes with local chefs, and teach them how to market and sell their dishes.
Chef Jametta Raspberry and Adora Thao visit KARE 11 News on Saturday to whip up one of their fantastic salads.
BEE STING SALAD with LEMON HONEY VINAIGRETTE
Makes 8 servings (1 cup)
2 cups whole kernel corn, sliced on the cob or frozen and thawed
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup uncooked black rice
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed, drained
1 ½ cups chopped fresh pineapple (or canned chunks in juice, drained)
1 medium black radish, cut into matchsticks
1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
8 cups mixed greens
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon Asian 5 spice seasoning
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
Blue and/or yellow corn tortilla chips
1. Heat oven to 400˚F. Toss the corn in a small bowl with the oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the black beans, pineapple, radish and bell pepper. Add rice and corn.
4. To make the dressing, run all the ingredients except the oil through a blender until smooth. With the blender running, slowly pour in the vegetable oil, until thick and smooth.
5. Stir half of the dressing into the salad mix; toss to coat. Arrange the lettuce leaves on the plates. Spoon salad mixture over top; drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle some crispy chili on top and garnish with fries
RECIPE FROM THE CHEF COACH FOR YOUNG URBAN ROOTS: BERTRAND WEBER, MPS CULINARY & WELLNESS SERVICES
Here is a link to find more recipes.