A variety of events and programs are planned this month at the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, including the following:
• Reopening of the Discovery room: From today, the discovery room will reopen to the public. It is included in the entrance fee.
• WeDigBio: This free global scientific program to digitize collections will run from noon to 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on October 16. Participants will receive specimen data to be transcribed into the database. Typing skills will be required, so the program is best suited for people 10 years of age or older. All program registrants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a registered adult. The cost is free but requires prior registration before October 15th.
• Family insect safari and macro photography workshop: Local artist Thomas Shahan will demonstrate how to capture images of the smaller creatures from 10 a.m. to noon on October 23. Families can learn the basics of macro photography, visit the “Beautiful Beasts: The Unseen Life of Oklahoma Spiders and Insects” exhibit, and make crafts. The cost is $ 15 for adults or youth members and $ 20 for adults or youth who are not members before October 15th.
• Macro photography workshop for adults: Shahan will share some interesting approaches to capturing photos. Then, participants can take macro photos of the museum grounds. The cost is $ 25 for adults or youth members and $ 30 for adults or youth who are not members before October 15th.
• Curiousiday – Spider Spectacular: The museum’s public programs are now called Curiousidays. On October 23, attendees will be able to listen to music, dance, navigate mazes and learn, focusing on how spiders make webs. There will be a costume ball at 11:30 am and 2:30 pm Other activities will include a scavenger hunt and bring home a bag of candy and other goodies. The bilingual program (English and Spanish) will be from 10:30 am to 5 pm. All activities are free with general admission. Family costumes are encouraged.
• Little scientists: Little Scientists is for children aged 3 to 5 accompanied by an adult. There will be two Little Scientists events in October: a fall-themed program from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on October 12 and a science-themed program from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on October 26. The cost is $ 5 for adult or youth members and $ 7 for adults or non-member youth by Monday and October 18 for the October 12 and 26 programs, respectively.
• Crafts and stories: Crafts and Tales takes place at 11:15 am in the Great Hall every Wednesday.
To find out more about events or membership, call the Same Noble Museum at 325-1008 or visit online at samnoblemuseum.ou.edu.